Mold is one of several naturally occurring substances that can cause health problems. In areas with flooding and high humidity, mold can be challenging to keep at bay.
Understanding the answers to these frequently asked questions may help home, and business owners know how to proceed should mold affect their buildings.
1. What are the health consequences of mold exposure?
People experience varying degrees of side effects from mold. Some are more sensitive or allergic to mold, and coexisting health conditions such as asthma and COPD can make reactions more severe. Common reactions to mold include:
- Ear, nose and throat issues
- Headaches and migraines
- Lower cognitive function
- Nervous system disorders
Many symptoms respond positively to medication, but removing the source of mold is the only way to eliminate the need for pharmaceutical treatment.
2. How does mold grow unnoticed?
Hidden water leaks allow moisture to seep into walls and floors, creating a perfect environment for mold to grow out of view. Common sources of water leaks are faulty roofs, leaking appliances and broken pipes. When water problems go unnoticed for years, mold can overtake the space and damage the building structure.
3. Can owners successfully remove mold from their properties?
A recent leak might not cause as much harm as a lengthy water problem. Homeowners can eliminate a small area of mold with a mixture of bleach and water. However, mold that has spread around the home may require extensive demolition.
Proper building maintenance is necessary to keep mold from growing. Since the exposure effects can last for years, building owners should ensure areas are free from mold to avoid lawsuits.